PDA

View Full Version : How would you spend money on Samurai?

zero
04-01-2006, 09:45 AM
I am going to modify a 92 stock. I do not want to go larger than 33" tires. If I go with the 6.5 and 33's do I need anything more than stock axle gears?

I have available:
axles w/ 513--welded rear--front locker--set up for SPOA
axles w/ 373--rear locker
33" Procomp X-terrains
30" tractor tires
30" 6 ply military type a/t

Which t-case would you buy, and which axle gears would you use with it?
a) 5.14/1 $550
b) 6.50/1 795
c) other ?
Calmini heavy duty axles: Are they worth $520 ?
Birfield cups worth $100 ?

Which lift kit do you reconmend? I had a Calmini 5" that was the roughfest ride I have ever experienced.

Who has the best steering system and power steering kit? I have been reading all the sites, and my head is spinning.
I guess my question is what is the best for trail riding and still street legal?

I know some things that are good for trails have bad effects on the highway. What should I look out for? Should I start with the lift, t-case, or just what should I build around? Please feel free to help me make good decisions, because I know if I make them on my own, they will turn out wrong as always. I need help. Anyone close is welcome to come down and ride on the trails to see what I am trying to do. Thanks for listening to my ramble.

Last two questions are:
Who has the best set of door handles? $69 set Petoworks or Trail Tuff?
Which header and are they worth the $250?
Sorry that was four questions. I have a problem knowing when to shut up, but lucky for everyone---I am out of time. :mrgreen:

zukking01
04-01-2006, 11:59 AM
If you arent running bigger than 33" tires you can go with and tracker p/s setup. They basically are all the same. I have a spoa lift and love it. Built it myself as everyone else does. Make it dont buy it. There are build ups of spoa on this site. The hedder would have to be a Doug Thornley hedder. Just under $200 but worth every penny. Dont buy a paccet or whatever ebay has for $125 its crap and you will replace in the end. Go thornley. I was running stock axles and 5.14 gears with 31" and I think you would like to go with a lower gear. I had a 1.6 and was wanting more. The 5.13 would be a good combo with the 5.14 and since you have them avalable I would go for it. I had some 31" x terranes and they were pretty noise on the road but it didnt bother me. Its a good tire if you dont mind the noise. And the door handles I would go for a set of 4 aluminum. Again its your choice of vender. Alot of guys on this site swear by Trail Tough. I have never used them presonally but they sound like a awesome bunch of people.

zukking01
04-01-2006, 12:00 PM
Forgot about shafts. I think you would be better off not spending the money because you prabably have spares and if you went $520 for shafts you should go yota axles instead. my .02

zero
04-01-2006, 02:57 PM
Forgot about shafts. I think you would be better off not spending the money because you prabably have spares and if you went $520 for shafts you should go yota axles instead. my .02

I do have plenty of extra shafts, and a set of yotas for the '93 w/ 36's. After talking to bigflex, I think I am going to order the 4:1 gear set and go with the 513 axles with stock shafts. I ran these axles w/ 4:1 and the 33's before. The only thing I didn't like was the Weber leaving me in a bind (which had nothing to do with the set up). I can make better use of the $520. toast

Come to think of it, that is what bushrig is running. I have already seen him go where I do not intend to go. Looking back it was a useless question. I just have no confidence in what I am doing, but it does help to run things by others. Thanks again for the reply. I never get enough of others opinions.

DesertZuki
04-01-2006, 06:55 PM
Can't answer 'em all, but here's what I can answer..
If I go with the 6.5 and 33's do I need anything more than stock axle gears?
There's a school of thought that just gearing down the t-case and not the axles will cause problems as voiced here by Brent at Trail Tough: http://php.trailtough.com/viewtopic.php?t=3

33" Procomp X-terrains
I've only seen these on a zuk in loose dirt and rock. They performed quite well. I'd consider them for myself if 4wheel parts wasn't so proud of 'em.

Birfield cups worth $100
I'm running birfield rings right now, but what I found out after I bought them makes me want to take them off. Apparently, with a birfield ring on, the weak link in the axle becomes the splines. That means when it breaks, you're not just replacing the axle like you would if the birfield broke, you're having to replace the axle and take apart the diff to get the broken part out! I guess you could run Warn hubs and hub fuses...

Which lift kit do you reconmend
I had a Zuk with Calmini springs -- I agree. Buckboard-like ride. Although I've heard a guy say he liked their newer springs. I bought the bolt-on spoa from RRO. Knowing what I know now, I would NOT do that again. Holeshot probably has the best write-up on the planet on how to do a spring-over for a Zuk: http://www.zukikrawlers.com/showthread.php?t=174

Who has the best steering system and power steering kit?
I'm running a Kick/Track pump w/ 31s. It works pretty well unless I'm on the rocks and I have a lot of weight on a front tire on solid rock. Then its like I don't have power steering, or maybe worse even. I can't vouch for the condition of the pump though. I got it in a swap.

I know some things that are good for trails have bad effects on the highwayAggressive tires. I'm only running TrXus MTs, but they're the worse road tire I've had since bias plys.

Should I start with the lift, t-case, or just what should I build around?Safety first! Roll cage and good belts for you and yours. Skid plates and armour for your rig. (of course I don't have a roll cage yet...)

Hope that helps!

zero
04-02-2006, 03:49 AM
Your reply has been a great help in leading me in the right direction. If I go left, it is not your fault. Thanks again, and you did have influence. toast

DesertZuki
04-02-2006, 03:40 PM
Glad I could help! Good luck with it!

purevil71
04-03-2006, 01:07 AM
This is JUST my .02 here, but if your going to stay with a 33" or smaller tire, I would just build your stock axles and not worry about doing a toy swap.
Even if you get a free set of Toy's, that swap will run you WAY more than the $500 budget you have. If you wanna save up and do them later on, go for it.

Just drive smart and know when to use the skinny peddle and when to lay off of it and you will be surprised how long your axles will last. I never broke an axle under my rig with 33's. I'm on 36's and Yota's now BTW.

I would defantly spend some money for some good safety cage work. Nothing like rolling over and living to see the pix of it.....lol