PDA

View Full Version : Starting Issues

joshjohnbaun
03-31-2006, 01:29 AM
Hey, im Josh from Kelowna BC Canada and am having a trouble I cannot figure out, any help would be appreciated... I own a 1987 Suzuki Samurai JX 1.3L Carbed Engine..

This is the problem sometimes when i turn the key it fires no problem... but every now and then... usually when im out at school or wherever it decides it wont fire, it turns over and everything.. just wont fire... I have replaced cap/rotor, plugs/wires, flue filter, just cleaned the carb today, adjusted timing, and it is still doing the same thing.

this is the pattern ive noticed... it fires completly fine in the mornings, no hesitation nothing... It sometimes works all day without any hesitation, sometimes i have to pump it a bit to get er rolling... but once its hot and i let it sit for say... an hour or two... and try to start it... it wont go... unless i pump like a madman, and sometimes even that doesnt work...

Anything you could help me out with would be great!

fuctzookis.a.
03-31-2006, 09:04 AM
hey man, theres a kit sold by zukicreations that will fix that right on up. the kit costs 12 or 15 bucks and they ship it to you pronto! and you get a sticker! no, but check out this kit.

zukking01
03-31-2006, 09:41 AM
You are saying it turns but dosent catch? If thats the case the carb might need a rebuild.

joshjohnbaun
03-31-2006, 11:28 AM
oh, we tried taking it apart and cleaning it right out, looks like im guna have to go pick up a rebuild kit... and fuctzookis... what is this kit you speak of? its not the clicky starter fix is it?

fuctzookis.a.
03-31-2006, 11:33 AM
yes that is the one. had the same problem. start some times and others i would click click click until it felt like starting. almost like a dead battery click.

joshjohnbaun
03-31-2006, 02:28 PM
hmmm its not clicking though is the thing... like....its turning over dont know how tooexplain the sound... its the turning sound right before you hear the engine rumble.... noo just clicking doing **** all... may be the carb is pooched?

Sky Hook Zuker
03-31-2006, 02:32 PM
During the times it is not catching, check to see if you are getting power to the coil. If the contacts in your ignition switch are warn or dirty it will crank with out sending power to the coil. It could also be intermitent.

Just a thought

joshjohnbaun
03-31-2006, 07:51 PM
how do i check this? (im new) and thanks for any tips!

DesertZuki
03-31-2006, 09:15 PM
Does it ever stumble or miss when it is running?

It sounds like the starter is turning when you turn the key so you don't need the clicky-starter fix (yet).

and... Choke staying closed? (that'd make it not start when warm)

zukking01
03-31-2006, 10:51 PM
how do i check this? (im new) and thanks for any tips!
You can do this with the original stuff but it is harder. Keep a spare spark plug and wire laying around in the vehicle. When it stops "sparking"(crank without start) Pull off all wires from cap and replace any one with "spare" plug/wire and place the plug on the engine to ground it or (if alone) where you can see it when starting engine while having plug grounded. Crank the engine and see if the "spare" plug is sparking. This is the same thing that happens in the engine but this way you see if it is working or not. Try it out when its working to make sure you know what you are doing. This way if you dont get spark the next time it acts funny you know it has something to do with the ignition and not fuel. toast toast

joshjohnbaun
04-01-2006, 12:19 AM
reply to zukking: ive checked the spark plugs, they are all sparking... someone said it may be the float on the carb? think that could cause this issue?

reply to wbtowery: yes it stumbles and misses a bit when its running, only untill its fully warmed up... like if i drive around the block in first after letting it sit on for a few mins... to getter goin.. it stumbled and misses, then i go for about half a minute accelerating and it goes away... as for the choke... i havent checked if it staying closed, can you show me a picture of where the choke is on the carb please?

zukking01
04-01-2006, 10:53 AM
ive checked the spark plugs, they are all sparking... someone said it may be the float on the carb? think that could cause this issue?

This could be that the carb float is getting stuck downward and not allowing any fuel into the bowl to be processed through the jets. Or (unlikely) your float has a hole in it and is filling up with fuel caosing it to bogg down to the dottom shutting off fuel. The reason the second one is unlikely is because the thing would almost never start. It really could be the first one. I have torn apart 5:shocked!: suzuki carbs and one pony card. I have to ask because you are in canada. does your carb have 3 big wire plugs on the side of it or is it not emission controlled. Canada came out with a non emission carb called a pony. Very sought after due to power increase and good angle non flood approach. If it is a pony I cant help you. If it is a "stocker" then I could be of assistance.

joshjohnbaun
04-01-2006, 03:29 PM
it is a stocker, the pony carbs are off hyundai pony's, I was thinking of goin to get one from the wrecker, but i dont really have the time to re-route all my throttle cable etc... and no, it doesnt have the 3 big wire plugs on the side, not that i removed when we took it out atleast

DesertZuki
04-01-2006, 06:25 PM
jjb: The choke is that "butterfly" looking piece of flat steel that you should see right at the top of the carb as you look inside it. It should be almost closed when its cold and wide open when its hot.

There's a slim possibility its vapor locking. I had that problem on a zuk. When it was vapor locking, if I loosened the gas cap on the gas tank, I'd get A LOT of pressure being released and then it'd run fine. (Caused by a bad cap or clogged vent lines.)