PDA

View Full Version : Cheap mods with junkyard parts

01rededge
03-29-2006, 01:36 PM
Ok, I'm hitting a junkyard or two this weekend to look for seats for the zuk.

I'm also going to look for the mercedes arms and possibly an electric fan to either replace or supliment the stock clutch fan.

Are there any other super cheap and useful mods that can be done with junkyard parts?

I know this is pretty open ended, but I want to get as many suggestions as possible before going.

zukking01
03-29-2006, 02:27 PM
Do you have enought brake line for flexin? Get 4 geo metro rear brake lines to extend the rear and the front. You will need to go to an auto part store to buy 4 $1.50 brass coulers. Cheap and effective.

Billjohn
03-29-2006, 02:30 PM
You can relocate your rear license plate from the plow position to your tailgate by picking up a rear license plate bracket from a track/kick. It also has integrated lights.

01rededge
03-29-2006, 07:24 PM
I'll definately keep an eye out for a metro or two so I can snag the brake lines.

The bracket is a good suggestion, I'll pass that along to our guys with street legal zuks.

holeshot
03-30-2006, 01:17 AM
Late 90s Chevy Cavalier has a starter relay that is weather proof and perfict to use on the Samurai for the clicky starter fix.
If you cut the wires long enuff off the Cavalier at the wreckin yard you wont need to extend them to work on the Sammy. Just have to put on new ends.
I'm sure other rigs have this style relay, but I know this is a good one to use.

01rededge
03-30-2006, 09:26 AM
Awesome! Keep 'em coming.

Skut
03-30-2006, 07:39 PM
look for axle shafts. and bring extras with on rock crawling weekends

01rededge
03-30-2006, 07:59 PM
look for axle shafts. and bring extras with on rock crawling weekends

I've got one complete front and complete rear, but more always help. We've got 5 guys in our club with zuks now and there is no telling what will happen once we actually all get everything up and running.

holeshot
03-31-2006, 12:40 AM
I got this little gem off of an s-10 blaser, dont know the year. I didnt even look at the year.

http://www.zukikrawlers.com/albums/holeshot/100_1129.jpg

http://www.zukikrawlers.com/albums/holeshot/100_1130.jpg

I mounted this to the firewall on right side, then ran a 6gauge wire from the stud on the back of the alternator to this box.
This is where I connect all my accessory lighting. By connecting at this stud and not the battery. You dont pull amperage through the stock fusable link.
Power is coming right off the alternator.

zero
03-31-2006, 09:24 AM
Late 90s Chevy Cavalier has a starter relay that is weather proof and perfict to use on the Samurai for the clicky starter fix.
If you cut the wires long enuff off the Cavalier at the wreckin yard you wont need to extend them to work on the Sammy. Just have to put on new ends.
I'm sure other rigs have this style relay, but I know this is a good one to use.

I don't remember which, but one of the small chevys has a dual pulley on the crank that fits right on the 1.3 for adding p/s. Just like 1.3 with A/C.

Sky Hook Zuker
03-31-2006, 02:23 PM
Just reading thru.

This is the most useful info I run across yet.

1rededge thanks for posting the question. I don't want to say I'm cheap, just broke:rolleyes: and enjoy a Saturday at the junkyard.

Keep the list goingbigok

snakeman
03-31-2006, 04:50 PM
On chev blazers, pickups, and other suv's they sometimes put underhood lights on a reel. It is completely self contained, and perfect for night time tinkering when a flashlight isn't handy!

I snagged 3 of them while working at bodyshops. I think some Jeeps had them too.

Ruttdigger
03-31-2006, 04:59 PM
Correct me if i am wrong but dont lincoln, olds and other vans have a 1 wire altinator that will work (slightly modified bracket) on a zuk.

01rededge
03-31-2006, 05:38 PM
Just reading thru.

This is the most useful info I run across yet.

1rededge thanks for posting the question. I don't want to say I'm cheap, just broke:rolleyes: and enjoy a Saturday at the junkyard.

Keep the list goingbigok

No problem. I've seen tons of one off posts on junkyard parts and figured I'd do one to pick people's brains before going and hitting our 2 pick-a-part yards here in Houston.

Itsmejoe231
04-01-2006, 12:37 AM
How about the '80 firebird master cylinder. you probably only need it with toy axles and 4 wheel disk. Oh and can order a remanufactored one from autozone for $15.00 plus $8.00 core charge so getting one from a junk yard might not be so good.

Hardline
04-01-2006, 12:58 AM
I don't remember which, but one of the small chevys has a dual pulley on the crank that fits right on the 1.3 for adding p/s. Just like 1.3 with A/C.
That would be the Chevy Sprint. That is what I got our pulleys off of. JJ

kszuk
04-01-2006, 07:17 AM
On chev blazers, pickups, and other suv's they sometimes put underhood lights on a reel. It is completely self contained, and perfect for night time tinkering when a flashlight isn't handy!

I snagged 3 of them while working at bodyshops. I think some Jeeps had them too.

They can also be found on some heep cherokees, I snagged the one off my wifes '87 before we sold it:mrgreen: 25' retractable cord and the light had a magnetic base. Some of them had a mercury switch that would only let them work in a certain position, just open up the case, bypass the switch and mount it anywhere.

shorty
04-01-2006, 05:15 PM
Do you have enought brake line for flexin? Get 4 geo metro rear brake lines to extend the rear and the front. You will need to go to an auto part store to buy 4 $1.50 brass coulers. Cheap and effective.

Why not just look for some late 80's early 90's Corollas... It is the rear brake line that is about 10" long or so and it already has the correct ends for adapting onto the geo metro lines...

I posted the link on STR, so you could probably find it on your sight. I also emailed it to Mike, but I will find the link again and post it here.

snakeman
04-01-2006, 05:29 PM
Also, on some "nicer" cars they had Air Ride suspension in the back. I've heard of guy converting the pumps for OBA setups. Don't know how well it works though.