PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning out a front axle

Sally
03-27-2006, 10:47 AM
if the oil in my rear looked liked this I'm sure the front is just as bad.
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c271/D2theJ/diff_001.jpg

Is there any way to clean it out without removing the third member?

TX_ZUKI
03-27-2006, 11:21 AM
I took my cover off one time & had the same thing, I had a bunch of brake cleaner and just sprayed in until the crap came out.

Do you not have a vent tube? Looks like water & mud got in there.

minchoffroad
03-27-2006, 12:41 PM
i used desil on mine. and it cleaned it up pretty good.

Sally
03-27-2006, 12:57 PM
I took my cover off one time & had the same thing, I had a bunch of brake cleaner and just sprayed in until the crap came out.

Do you not have a vent tube? Looks like water & mud got in there.

Does it look like it was vented2finger
I don't know where this cover you speak of is on a stock sammy axle? smokin
Can I just keep flushing it with oils and stuff till it comes out clean, mabye spin the third with an impact or something to get the gears moving?

shorty
03-27-2006, 01:02 PM
I put mine in a 5 gallon bucket and filled it up above the 3rd with diesel fuel...

TX_ZUKI
03-27-2006, 01:02 PM
That's right on sami axles the whole 3rd comes out. I have covers on my axles 2finger

Sally
03-27-2006, 01:11 PM
Just pulled the drain plug on the front diff
Fluid looks brand new so i guess I won't need to clean it out just yet only add some new fluid. Oh when I went to install my vents I grabbed what I thought was 1/2 hose off the shelf from a semi truck It turned out to be a power cable inside so I just said screw it I'll add one later. I'm now gonna be venting all 4 vents to the top of the roll bar before my next time playing in the mud.

ack
03-27-2006, 07:56 PM
Ifn' my gear oil looked like that, I'd pull the axles out and pop the third just to make sure everything got thoroughly cleaned out.

There is a possibility that water leaked past a wheel bearing, so yanking the axles might reveal some damage that a good flushing with diesel will not uncover.

Most often the easy solution turns out to be the worst solution. Trust me.

shorty
03-28-2006, 07:24 AM
Just a thought...

If he already has the center section out of the axle housing wouldn't the axle shafts already be pulled out, because I don't see them in the picture.

TX_ZUKI
03-28-2006, 07:43 AM
Just a thought...

If he already has the center section out of the axle housing wouldn't the axle shafts already be pulled out, because I don't see them in the picture.
He is talking about the front that is not taken apart yet.

Sally
03-28-2006, 08:10 AM
He is talking about the front that is not taken apart yet.

And will not be taken apart untill something goes bad. I drained the front fluid into some clean tupperware and and didn't see any signs of mud and or water. It takes less time for me to swap in a new front axle assembly then to remove everything inside, clean and reinstall. So if I did see any signs, that is what I would have done anyways.