PDA

View Full Version : bumper lighting question....

fuctzookis.a.
03-15-2006, 03:00 PM
back again with more questions. just had some bumpers built by a fabricating guru buddy of mine, pictures to follow soon. i bought the 2" round amber lights(4) for the front and 2-4" round stop/signal lights + 2-more ambers for the back and a stand alone backup light. question being, the ambers have (2) leads blk/white and the red 4" have (3) leads and so on. im no wiring guru so i wanna pick your brains before i go mess stuff up. looking to hook them up fri night....rockonn

shorty
03-15-2006, 04:15 PM
The 2" amber can be used for EITHER turn signal OR running lights, so they only have two(2) wires, one(1) for positive and one(1) for ground wire.

The 4" amber are used for EITHER running lights or turn signal and they only have two(2) wires, (1)positive for running or turn signal, and one(1) negative for ground.

The 4" red lights can be used for running lights, stop lights, and turn signal(with domestic vehicle). so they come with three(3) wires. one(1) positive for running lights, one(1) positive for brake & turn signal lights, one(1) negative for a ground.

If you look on the back of the light, it should be molded into the body of the light beside the plug as to the wires location and what it should be used for.

Hope this helps,
Shorty

Itsmejoe231
03-15-2006, 07:25 PM
Shorty gave a very good explanation. I think I would have got tongue tied.

Here are the color wires that are hangin down and what they go to.

FRONT LEFT

Green w/ red tracer is Left turn
Red w/ blue tracer is running light

FRONT RIGHT

Green w/ yellow tracer is Right turn
Red w/ green tracer is running.

note: The running light wires will connect to the side marker lights also on each side.

Rear Left

Red is backup light
Red w/ blue tracer is running
Green w/red left turn
Green w/ white tracer is stop

Rear Right

Red is backup light
Red w/ green tracer is running
Green w/ yellow tracer is Right turn
Green w/ white tracer is stop

Note: Red w/ yellow tracer is back up lights and there should be 2 of them.
Black is ground.

Sally
03-16-2006, 02:43 AM
The 4" amber are used for EITHER running lights or turn signal and they only have two(2) wires, (1)positive for running or turn signal, and one(1) negative for ground.
Shorty

I just installed a new Ibuiltbumpers.com front bumper with 4" amber lights on the front. And I used them as both the front marker/driving and blinker. The bulbs have 3 wires of each bulb assembly that are labled.
Look arround there are lots of wiring and lighting options available.
I can hook you up with some lighting links if you need.
http://x11.putfile.com/3/7403022173.jpg

fuctzookis.a.
03-16-2006, 12:06 PM
Like Always I Get Fast And Accurate Answers!

TX_ZUKI
03-16-2006, 12:49 PM
Best People :mrgreen:

ack
03-16-2006, 07:58 PM

Also, check out the LED bumper lights article at Ack's FAQ. It also talks about how to wire the 4-wire rear lighting system on the Samurai (separate turn and stop circuits) to the three-wire system commonly used in the US using an easy-to-find adapter device.

Do a search for LED at Ack's FAQ. The link is in my signature, below.

01rededge
03-16-2006, 08:01 PM
I'm even going to throw up a thanks for the info. Shorty has seen the zuk I own (Scott's old one) and knows how the rear bumper had become part of the body.

I've removed it, but had to hack the wiring apart while doing so. This will let me re-wire some of the lights so the guys won't have to guess when I'm stopping on the trails.

Itsmejoe231
03-16-2006, 08:10 PM
This will let me re-wire some of the lights so the guys won't have to guess when I'm stopping on the trails.

You could always use hand signals...:mrgreen:

shorty
03-17-2006, 06:41 AM
At the creek they DO use hand signals...any guess as to which one? :mrgreen: