PDA

View Full Version : Rocker shaft bolts falling out?

Hardline
03-13-2006, 11:33 PM
Just when you think something is going to go your way. I pulled my valve cover today to do a little adjusting and such. Well when I turned the motor over to confirm what direction the rotation was I got a gush of engine oil. :confused: after closer inspection I found that the 4 back screws that hold the rocker shafts down were missing. I found all but 1 of them in the top of the head. I can only guess that the one missing went down an oil galley and is now in the pan. The ones that were in the top had been all smashed up by the cam where the lobes came around and smacked them. Is this common. I guess now I will have to get some more screws. JJ

Itsmejoe231
03-13-2006, 11:49 PM
Same thing happened to Jason's (Smoke) motor. He pulled it apart for unrelated problems and found the same thing. The ones that he did find were banged up. Not sure if he found all of them.

Sally
03-13-2006, 11:52 PM
I think it's common. I use blue loctite and after they are tight I then put a glob of RTV over the head of the screw. Just to make sure they don't fall out.

ack
03-14-2006, 05:30 PM
I found that the 4 back screws that hold the rocker shafts down were missing. I found all but 1 of them in the top of the head. I can only guess that the one missing went down an oil galley and is now in the pan. The ones that were in the top had been all smashed up by the cam where the lobes came around and smacked them. Is this common. JJ

Yep.

Very.

Long ago, right after the last ice age, I wrote a tome about this for izook.com.

http://www.izook.com/tech/samurai/engine/screws/screws.htm

Not incredibly informative, but you do get the torque specs for the little buggers.

:suzuki:

wezuk33
03-14-2006, 06:59 PM
Don't depend on locktite or blue atv. Tighten them down (Torq to spec) then take a sharp punch and "stake" all of them.Make sure the stake overlaps the head of the screw.

Sally
03-14-2006, 09:18 PM
stake thats a new term to me:confused:

zukking01
03-14-2006, 10:59 PM
"Stake" To use a chizel and bend part of the outer metal into the inner screw. This will cause the screw to be held down by the outer metal and will not let the screw come loose again..

Hardline
03-14-2006, 11:25 PM
Thanks for all the great information. I learned several things over the past 2 days. 1 A person that works on equipment all day will have a failing engine.:mrgreen: 2 when you buy a used Zuke and build it up, go ahead and atleast do a major tune up on it. :mrgreen: I found the proper bolts at my local hardware store of all places. I looked the tourqe spec up last night and found out that to hold the tourqe they needed to be atleast class 4 bolts which is about the equivelent of grade 3. I went to the store I found some class 10.9 bolts which are about the equivelent of grade 8. After installing them I adjusted the valves which had a couple loose, Checked compression on the motor which the lowest ws 181 which made me :mrgreen: , Then checked the timing.:shocked!: It was set at 0! No wonder it seemed like it was low on power!:turn-l: Probably only had 50 of the available 62 horsepower!:mrgreen: Installed a new valve cover gasket which was so hard it must have been the original. That should stop the oil leak. Getting it together for the Clatyton trip in a week and a half. I can not wait to try it out now!

zukking01
03-15-2006, 09:09 AM
:shocked!: :shocked!: ??LOWEST 181?? :shocked!: :shocked!: In my 1.3 it was 110-120 compression. You have a pretty good motor. The factory specs are 199 so you are right there. Nice. jamminzz jamminzz

TX_ZUKI
03-15-2006, 09:10 AM
Cool deal JJ, now you going to race OKIE ZUK?

OKIE ZUK
03-28-2006, 11:31 AM
Pink slips? toast

TX_ZUKI
03-28-2006, 11:31 AM
Pink slips? toast
:rofl: :dance:

Marshall
03-30-2006, 10:03 PM
I have one that didn't come loose but sheered off and the head fell out. I found it while adjusting my valves. The bolt head was all chewed up. I made sure the rest were tight and put the cover back on, we will see how long it lasts :silly:

pvkj454
06-06-2006, 05:11 AM
I recently bought a 87 Samurai that was getting coolant in the oil. I found that a rocker shaft screw came out and the cam lobe pushed it through the head casting near the rear freeze plug. It will be getting a 1.6 8v EFI conversion.